The webinar was broadcast live on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 1:00 PM Eastern.
Resolved: All scholarship must be made freely available for reading and reuse.
Opening Poll Results:
55 votes (51%) for “Yes, I agree” and 52 votes (49%) “No, I disagree.”
Closing Poll Results:
54 votes (57%) for “Yes, I agree,” and 41 votes (43%) for “No, I disagree.”
Brandon Butler, speaking in support of the resolution, was declared the winner of the debate.
- Poll Results
- Attendee Chat Log
- Opening Statement from Brandon Butler
- Opening Statement from Angela Cochran
- Rebuttal from Brandon Butler
- Rebuttal from Angela Cochran
- Moderator: Rick Anderson, Associate Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication, Marriott Library, University of Utah
- In Favor: Brandon Butler, Director of Information Policy, University of Virginia Library
- Opposed: Angela Cochran, Associate Publisher, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
The debate will be conducted in general accordance with Oxford Union rules. All in the audience will vote their opinion on the resolution before the debate begins, and the vote totals will be recorded. Each speaker will offer a formal opening statement, followed by a response to each other’s statements, and then we’ll open the floor to discussion. At the conclusion of the debate, another vote will be taken. The winner of the debate is the one who caused the most audience members to change their votes. Members of the audience have an opportunity to make comments and pose questions as well.